Our pork quality program is geared towards making sure that the pork you buy from us will be lean, tender, and tasty. We never sacrifice quality for quantity. Unfortunately, many large suppliers will pump the pork full of water, salt, phosphates, and preservatives – you are essentially buying expensive water and salt instead of delicious meat. Our three step strategy bucks this trend.
Our program begins with with selecting only the best hogs from producers that have met our quality assurance guidelines. Our prequalification process for producers involve full assessments of the following:
- The producer must be certified to be Level lll – the highest Pork Quality Assurance Level Rating possible by the National Pork Board.
- Livestock’s genetic records are checked for accuracy and consistency
- Feed programs are reviewed to ensure that the food chain is pure and free from synthetic additives
- Animal’s living conditions are evaluated. These conditions must be natural and hygienic.
The FDA outlines specific guidelines for the use and administration of healthcare products to animals under rule number CPG 7125.37. PQA Program Level lll compliance augments these requirements with 10 identified GPP’s (Good Production Practices), which our producers must be 100% compliant with.
Although these steps may seem extensive, we firmly believe that happy, healthy hogs produce the best meat.
Individual Hog Selection
We have a highly skilled and specifically trained person on site that individually hand picks each hog. Our focus on total quality control led to the development of our own grade-selection scoring system.
We believe that the #1, highest quality hogs are determined by meeting the following criteria:
- Muscle score must be optimal
- Fat percentage must be minimal
- Yield percentage must be the highest
- Hogs are then dipped in 325 degree rosin to remove all hair and foreign matter. This also destroys bacteria
We use the highest trim specs in the industry. This saves you time, since our pork requires less preparation, and it also saves you money. Our methods ensure that you are buying the highest meat-to-fat ratio available.
- Hogs are cleaver-split, thus have a longer shelf life.
- This avoids bone dust contamination and any localized temperature increases which can occur when using a power saw blade.
- This results in the meat having a longer shelf life without reverting to artificial means.
- Carcasses are more appealing
- Saves you time (you won’t have to remove the cord)
- Higher % yield of center cut chops
- The butts are also a better buy because the blade is actually on the butts when we carve using this method.
- A departure from the industry standard, which cuts between the 1st & 2nd rib. This method is quicker for the butcher but leaves more work for you to do and also yield center cut chops.